What do you really love doing?
Mar 07, 2022
The BECOMING Method™ series week 7 of 8. This week we’re going to move on to the N in the BECOMING Method Needs - what is missing from your life - body, mind, and spirit
Looking at the activities that make up your day-to-day life can lead to finding ways to increase the things you love and decrease the things you loathe.
By this time, you:
- know where you’re starting from
- have determined your areas of improvement/opportunity
- know what energizes and drains you
- what makes you feel amazing
- know what makes you unique
- what matters most to you
- what you still want to see, do, and experience
If you’re just joining me, you can check out the previous weeks here:
Podcast version - the BECOMING Method series starts with episode 8
Blog version - click the link for the BECOMING Method series
Let’s get started with this week’s topic - Needs - what is missing from your life - body, mind, and spirit...
One of the ways that you can explore what is missing is to take a look at the things that are already a part of your regular life and schedule, and then think about how they impact you.
Over the course of the next week or so, I encourage you to carry around a notepad, a piece of paper, or just make a note on your phone.
Have two categories -
- Things you LOVE - for those things that make you feel great, that you look forward to doing, or that you enjoy doing immensely. Be specific!
- Things you LOATHE - for those things that make you feel terrible, that you dread doing, or that you just hate it when you do this thing. Be specific!
The more specific you can be the better.
You may be surprised by some of the things that make your lists.
Now it’s time to start brainstorming - how could you reduce doing what you LOATHE or make doing it a little easier or more pleasurable?
And now brainstorm some ideas of things you could do to INCREASE doing what you LOVE. Just whatever pops into your mind for the moment.
Stuck? Here are some thought starters:
- Find someone who LOVES to do what you loathe, then barter with them offering to swap and do something for them that you enjoy but they don't.
- Add pleasant components to the things you loathe doing. Think of all 5 senses eg. Listen to an inspiring podcast, play some energizing music or wear cashmere while you do that dull, boring or repetitive task.
- Reward yourself when you complete an unpleasant task with something small but pleasurable like high-quality chocolate, a nice cup of tea and a few minutes to relax, or a soak in the bath.
- To increase doing what you love, could you volunteer for a project or ask for more, similar tasks in the future? Could you get less pleasant tasks done first and spend longer on the good stuff?
- Where do you 'waste' time on activities like unnecessary email, social media or television that could be spent doing something you truly love?
Finally, what will you do with this information? What are your next steps? (pick at least one) I will ____________________ by when _____________.
Next week we’re going to finish out the BECOMING Method series with week 8 - Go - Putting it all into action
And if you’re ready to go deeper into any of these areas, check out ways to work with me further at https://www.jennylytle.com/work-with-jenny
Until next time, take a deep breath or two and never stop becoming the best version of YOU.
I am also always open to suggestions and show ideas, and want to collaborate with other like-minded individuals, so feel free to reach out to me at https://www.jennylytle.com/podcast-guest